Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Hoover's no more?


My parents have put the family's cafe and cabins up for sale! Paradise no more!

For the past 10 years, Marysvale, Utah, has been the only steady home away from home that I've had. While it has been constantly changing every year, with new additions and remodeling, it is still home. When I lived in Virginia, over a period of 7 years, my mom and I lived in three different places. Then we spent 6 years in an apartment in Pleasant Hill, and now 2 years in our home in Martinez. 

The Cafe is HOOVER's NOT HOOTERS! Will it always be that way though? I've worked there on and off since I was 12 years old when I helped my sister Ashley with dishes. It was founded by my step-great grandmother more than 60 years ago. I spent most of my summers care- free (except for last summer of course, while I slaved away in the cafe) and

enjoying the great outdoors with my family and friends. It was a tradition to put off the 24th of July (and sometimes the 4th of July) fireworks in the cafe parking lot. Paiute and Sevier Utah are not the same as Lake Tahoe! There aren't crowds of people rushing to get to South Central Utah on all the major holidays...yet it is just as beautiful, if not more so. Bullion Canyon is one of my favorite places in the whole world, right up there with Florence and Rome!



While I respect their decision, I am still upset, and still hoping to squeeze in a few more visits before, *gasp*, a sale might go through.  My Grandma Joan, I'm sure, will always live there, so I'll always be able to visit, but it's just not the same. 




A picture of me and Korey in the cafe last February for my Dad's 50th birthday party.

No comments: